Monday, July 11, 2016

Hoonah--Icy Strait Point



Hoonah or Icy Strait Point is a new port for us. It’s on an island with Hoonah being the largest town—blink and you’d miss it as you drive by. Holland America Line invested with the community to upgrade their cruise port. It’s actually a well built, very nicely done dock with an Adventure Center and a restaurant at the end of the pier. The thing that we appreciated was that we weren’t bombarded with touristy shops, Diamond International, Tanzanite International, and all the other traps that many ports are about. The area is relatively unchanged other than the immediate port area. We like that it provides the local people with jobs without changing their culture. 

                                                                    Adventure Building


Nice new dock

Our ships, Maasdam

One main attraction is the Ziprider, which was built 10 years ago. It is advertised as the ‘largest’ and ‘longest’ in the world. Largest because it sends 6 riders off at the same time. The length of the ride if 5,330 ft. with a vertical drop of 1300 ft. (higher than the Empire State Building). Riders reach speeds up to 60 mph . The ride provided sweeping views of Port Frederick, Icy Strait with a great view of our ship below. 

Some may have read my blog when we went on our South Seas Cruise and about me facing my fears in Tonga. Well, I’m not sure why this has become a ‘thing’ for me on a cruise, but today I faced another big fear. 

Months ago, as I was planning excursions for our cruise, the only thing that I could find that was remotely interesting for this port, Hoonah, was the zipline. I watched youtube videos and thought, I can do that. It’s a sit-in harness and you are released from a starting gate with five other people. This meant it would not require me to be brave enough to jump-off. I can do this!! 
I felt pretty confident, not all that scared. 

So, the day has arrived. I was a little nervous, but kept telling myself, it’s just like a Disney ride. No big deal. Famous last words. Well, not literally the ‘last’, but you get the idea. So, our excursion was set for 9:00 am. I scheduled it early so I wouldn’t have all day to talk myself out of it. 

We had our early breakfast and then headed off to adventure. As the time got closer, of course, I got more and more nervous. My mouth was bone dry, sweaty palms, heart racing. What have I gotten myself into this time? 

It took a 40 minute bus ride on winding roads to reach the top where the zipline begins. The last part was a 5-10 minutes hike into the ride area. We ended up being in the last group of 6 to enter the ride. That gave me a little too much time to get nervous. By the time I was getting strapped into my harness, I was pretty darned scared, I’ll admit.. When they asked if there were any last questions, I said, “Am I gonna die?” That got a big laugh. Huh! Not funny!!


                                                                    Our group

Watching the process
The group before us. 

                                     

Well, I’m in it, I’m committed (or should be). 3…2…1…Have fun!! the gate opens and I’m out!! Once I was out the gate, I actually loved every next 90 seconds of it. I never had the sensation that I was falling. Just wind rushing past as I’m snapping away with my camera. Got to the end which is very abrupt, got unstrapped and I started my usual giggling when I’m on a crazy, wild ride (i.e. Disneyland). Brian arrived at the stop right after me. I saw him and the first words out of my mouth were, “That was fun!!”.  And, it really was. I would do it again. The anticipation was WAY worse than the actual ride. Now, knowing how it feels, I wouldn’t be so scared. So, yes, I would highly recommend to anyone DO THIS!! It was a kick!!

                                                             Ready for takeoff!

Soaring over the trees

Halfway point



 Brian got a little sideways on this one!

The rest of our day in Icy Strait was just spent relaxing on the ship until sail away at 1:30. What a lovely place with very nice local people. Such a fun port to visit. I hope we can return some time. 

Our evening dinner was in the Canelleto, one of the ship’s specialty restaurants. Italian food. Tasty, but I wouldn’t say it was exceptional. After dinner we visited the hot tub for a while, then our usual quiet time in our cabin. 


Black Slack Saga update: Concierge informs us that the shops don’t have the right tool to remove the security device, so back they go to the tailor, who won’t do anything unless we sign a waiver in case he damages them. So, we’ve decided to take another exciting excursion to Fred Meyers in Anchorage tomorrow. Oh, will the fun and excitement never end? Stay tuned!!


All in all, a very nice day. Tomorrow, one of our favorites—-Sea Day. Sailing toward Anchorage. 






                                            



No comments:

Post a Comment